Brief: Regardless of how well informed, well intentioned or responsible young people may be, mistakes will sometimes happen (remember adults make mistakes too!). This training is designed to enable staff in non-clinical setting to be able help support young people to deal with the fall out of unprotected sex.
This training replaces what were the condom distribution and the pregnancy testing training – instead we have combined the two and added a few extra bits along the way – including how to deal with the emotional fall-out too.
Aim: To enable non clinical staff to effectively support young people who have had unprotected sex provide by providing pregnancy testing and appropriate referrals in a non-clinical setting, encourage them to access contraception and sexual health screening.
Objectives: By the end of the training participants will:
- Have a greater knowledge of types of contraception and sexually transmitted infections.
- Have a greater understanding of how best to support a young person emotionally following unprotected sex.
- Learn how to distribute condoms according to Warwickshire’s Condom Distribution Protocol.
- Learn how to carry out Chlamydia screening according to Warwickshire’s Chlamydia Screening Protocol.
- Be competent to carry out a pregnancy test for a young woman.
- Have a greater understanding of some of the issues that might be affecting a young person seeking sexual health screening, a pregnancy test, or coping with a suspect pregnancy.
- Have a greater understanding of the options open to a young woman following confirmation of a pregnancy.
- Be aware of and understand relevant protocols and procedures
- Be able to sign post young people to relevant support services.
Ideally, you should have completed the Foundation training before you can access this course – to book or view upcoming dates:
Once you have booked your place you will be asked to complete a fun pre-course quiz – just to get you thinking…
Once you have completed the course – you will be able to access and save all the resources from the training.